On January 13, 1892, twenty-four people signed the charter establishing St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church in Terryville, Connecticut. These people had met three weeks earlier on Christmas Day 1891 and voted to found the congregation. On January 13, 1892, the formal founding of the church was accomplished. Once the church had a constitution, its ministry for Jesus Christ moved quickly forward. On February 22, 1901, the congregation voted to purchase a parcel of land at Main and Allen Streets from R.G. Plum in order to construct a permanent church home. One year later the construction of a building 50’ X 30’ with a steeple height of 75’ was begun. The church only took 9 months to complete.
Once the congregation was established in its permanent church, other important decisions began to be made. The erecting of a parsonage was begun in January, 1907 and completed in September of that same year. One June 9, 1912, a dedication of a newly renovated sanctuary was held, and an organ was put into place on August 13, 1916. Thus began St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church in Terryville, Connecticut.
Since 1916, the church has grown to encompass not only the church building and the parsonage, but also the residence to the right of the church. This building is known as the Parish House and contains the Sunday School as well as the Church Offices. A passageway was constructed to connect the church and Parish House. Prior to the purchase of the building, Sunday School classes were held in the church basement. Curtains made of monk’s cloth separated the groups and classrooms consisted of little more than a table and chairs. When the Sunday School outgrew this area, some classes were taught in the sanctuary. The purchase of the Parish House allowed each class to have a room of its own and made it possible for teachers to expand educational opportunities.
There have been other changes. A new organ was purchased, the sanctuary once beige and brown was painted white, siding and storm windows were installed, a ramp for handicapped access was built, and the front bank was landscaped. But one thing has not changed. The people. We are still dedicated to the worship of God and to doing his work here in this community and in the world beyond. We welcome you to St. Paul. We are glad to have you worship and share fellowship with us.